Maybe some people recover. Completely. No more ED.
I find it nearly impossible to believe that one day
I will wake-up and ED will be gone. A forgotten memory.
So until that day, I’m going to use my
Rules for Living with ED:
- Feelings check. “How am I feeling?” Feelings are not facts, but they are indicators from your subconscious. “Why? Hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired? Stressed?”
- Breathing check. “If I’m stressed I need to be aware of my breathing.” “I can talk other people off of a ledge, I can do that for myself as well.”
- “Whose voice is speaking through my thoughts?” “I drive my mental bus. I can disagree and disobey with the passengers onboard.”
- Eat by the clock unless feeling confident enough for intuitive eating but use “Wisemind.”
- “Practice makes permanent”… and not perfection. “Why do I have to be perfect?” “One day at a time.” “One meal at a time.” “It’s just one meal.” There will be other meals. If I eat a big breakfast, maybe a smaller lunch and dinner. If I have a cheeseburger, maybe later will be salad, fruit and yogurt, etc.
- “What other people think of me is none of my business.” “Haters are gonna hate.”
- Persistence. “I can ‘urge-surf’ my way through the discomfort.” “What doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger.”
- Call, email, or at least, text a friend. “It’s important to reach-out and let other people know you care.”
- Stop beating myself up. “What’s done is done.” “What can I learn from it?”
- “I can press the ‘Reset’ button, when I need to.” The “Reset” button is my reminder to perform self-care. If I purged, I should rinse my mouth with water and eat something nutritious to replace that which I lost. “Why did I feel the need to purge?” See #1